Styling a Blazer : Do’s and Dont’s
When Vidhi first asked me to write a post for her, I was really excited because this is my first guest post and also writing it for a talented girl like Vidhi makes it all the more special. I don’t think that I can thank her enough for this opportunity. And Oops, I forgot to introduce myself right? Well, here you go:
I am Jaseema, software professional by day and a blogger by night and I am based out of Chennai. I have always had a THING for fashion but UNFORTUNATELY, I could never afford a career in fashion as my parents thought it was a complete waste of time (I don’t blame them, but that’s how all the conservative parents out there think! Those poor souls just don’t understand what a beautiful art it is) So, after sucking up my not-so-good 4 years at Engineering college, I finally decided to give some time to my first LOVE (read FASHION) and voila here I am, writing a post to connect with beautiful people like you!
And if you ask me why FASHION – It is because I have always thought that we Indians are a tad bit behind every other country, when it comes to fashion. I see many people who still have not got past their good old tee and jeans. I took up fashion blogging only to reach out to those common people, to enlighten them on International Fashion, to help them get their dressing choices right and to make every beautiful woman out there more BEAUTIFUL.
So now let’s get started on our post! Shall we? In this post, let’s discuss about styling a staple that ought to be in every woman’s closet-BLAZER! I am sure you must have all seen a blazer as it is common to both men and women! Blazers can never go out of trend as you can see many celebrities including our very own leggy lasses from Bollywood sporting it every other day be it during a promotional event, movie premiere or even while running errands! I don’t think I have to wax on eloquently about this but Ladies, Blazers are definitely a MUST-HAVE in today’s fashion forward world.
But let me also tell you that blazers are quite delicate to style. It can easily make you look tacky when you don’t get your basics right. So, now let’s see some of the do’s and don’ts for styling blazer. Oui?
- For starters, invest in a blazer of some basic colour like black. Make sure that it is of correct fit. If not, don’t be lazy but get it tailored to your size. Because you do not want to look slouchy in an ill-fitted blazer! Do you? If the fit is right, then Style it with blue jeans and a tee of your choice (good if you stick to a plain tee) or you can go the monochromatic way by pairing it with black jeans and white shirt. I personally think that blazers look great with cropped jeans giving a very casual chic look.
- Once you have mustered enough confidence with the basic look, you can go for bold ones like a floral or leopard printed blazer. If you want the blazer to be the show stealer, opt for blazers in bright and loud colours.
- Rolled up sleeves are perfect for effortless chic-ness.
- It is not necessary that you have to ALWAYS pair your blazer only with jeans; you can also wear it over a simple dress. But be sure, that the blazer is in tone with your dress. You can even pair it with shorts.
- Accessories wise, you can play around with statement neck-piece and handcuffs. You can even add a statement brooch to your blazer for those extra brownie points.
- Wrap a shawl around your neck during winter. It does the double duty of keeping you warm and adding a dash of elegance.
- I think envelope clutch looks the best with a blazer. Totes are not a bad option either!
- For hair, get a blow dry done for a casual day time look and a top bun gives an element of sophistication to your evening look.
- And for footwear, nothing can do better justice to a blazer rather than a pump shoes or peep-toes! Go for boots during the winter.
- Unless you are as confident as Olivia Palermo or Deepika Padukone, don’t even think of FLATS with a Blazer!
- NEVER pair your blazer with skirts! You can only if your motto is to look like a convent school kid.
- Don’t go overboard with prints.(I mean don’t mess your graphic print tee with a floral print blazer).If you want your blazer to do the talking, then keep the rest as stark as possible!
- Go for a boyfriend blazer ONLY IF you have a SLENDER FRAME to carry it off. Otherwise, stay FAR AWAY!
Zara, ASOS, Forever 21 has quite a good collection of Blazers. Check them out!
So, that’s it lovelies! I hope I was of at least a little help to revamp your wardrobe! And hey, always keep in mind that it is more important to have a personal style than to be fashion forward. Not all the trends out there are made for you. Find out what suits you and make a statement as you are! Be a trend setter rather than being a blind follower.
If you love my styling tips and if you want to get more of my fashion knowledge, then you can connect with me through my blog VOGUE AND VOWS at http://jaseemafarook.blogspot.in .You can also stay updated on International fashion through my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Vogueandvows11 and follow me on twitter via https://twitter.com/FarzanaJaseema .
Loads of Love,
Edit: Styling a Blazer is so much more easier now! Thanks to all the amazing tips by my dear friend and blogger Jaseema You should check her blog out! I’m definitely her fan and follower –Vidhi.
HarshaAugust 30, 2013 at 3:22 pm (10 years ago)
When I saw the title of the Post I thought Vidhi is trying on hands on How-to Dress but then it was you Jaseema..Let me tell you both of you will be a great Pair..
And as always your write-ups on dressing styles is awesome and Nicely round up Do’s and Don’ts for Blazers..BTW I wonder is this applicable for Men.. 😉Reply
VidhiAugust 30, 2013 at 3:52 pm (10 years ago)
You want to try leopard print blazers Harsha? 😛 😉 If yes, then ok this post can be for men 😛
Jaseema FarookSeptember 1, 2013 at 9:46 am (10 years ago)
Thank you for being too kind always Harsha And I don’t think this will be applicable for men but maybe I will write one for men soon 😀
HarshaAugust 30, 2013 at 3:54 pm (10 years ago)
Arey Taang kheech rahi ho.. 😛Reply
Waise bhi aaj kal Ladka,Ladki sab to ek hi jaise kapde pehente hai.. 😛
khushbooAugust 31, 2013 at 6:01 am (10 years ago)
Very helpful..i like wearing them but never wear it wid d fear tht i ll look stupid..wil atleast try now thank u girls.. :-*Reply
VidhiAugust 31, 2013 at 2:24 pm (10 years ago)
Confidence is the key 😉
Jaseema FarookSeptember 1, 2013 at 9:48 am (10 years ago)
Go for it Khushboo
Aziz AmpanwalaAugust 31, 2013 at 10:41 am (10 years ago)
Its a hit combo … Jaseema feat Gonetrendy ! useful tips for all the ladies in the house ! well scripted as always by Jaseema ..Reply
VidhiAugust 31, 2013 at 2:22 pm (10 years ago)
haha Aziz! 😛 Jaseema is very talented i agree
Jaseema FarookSeptember 1, 2013 at 9:49 am (10 years ago)
Thank you Aziz Bhai And Vidhi,NOT as talented as YOU
chinksAugust 31, 2013 at 2:11 pm (10 years ago)
I have a navy blue blazer which I totally love. The best part is it short sleeved which makes it different and chic at the same time. I like to pair it up with my one piece dresses. I love blazers and I loved the post. Good work!!Reply
VidhiAugust 31, 2013 at 2:23 pm (10 years ago)
Wow a short sleeved navy blue blazer sounds hot
Jaseema FarookSeptember 1, 2013 at 9:53 am (10 years ago)
Thank you Short sleeve Blazer+dress=TOTALLY a chic combo!
HarijaSeptember 9, 2013 at 6:56 am (10 years ago)
VidhiSeptember 9, 2013 at 4:16 pm (10 years ago)